Electrical Woes

Yesterday was a beautiful day made just for a drive in the Alfa (Packers
play Monday). My wife was a little cool so I turned on heater and fan. Later
I noticed the fan didn't work and the alternator light (located in the tach)
was on. I turned the fan off and the alternator light dimmed, but remained
on. I stopped on a hill to make sure I could turn it off and restart and it
appears to have plenty of battery capacity. However, the light remains on
dimly all the time and when I slow down to idle the tach STOPS functioning
and the light becomes brighter. Revving the engine causes the tach to begin
working and the alternator light dims again. Scary. Yeah, I know it was
Halloween but this is starting to remind me of a car with Lucas electronics.
Before I tear into it I need to think about what could be causing this
behavior and I'm looking for suggestions.
Steve McRoberts    =
1984 Spider Veloce =
Madison, WI        =