RE: K&N Filter (Cone)/Spider Wanted SURPRISE!!

Jorge Asked:
>By the way, can any engineer out there could calculate the surface of a
cone
>vs the surface of the flat panel minus the triangular area (not very
useful)
>covered by the AFM?
Matt responded:
<<"I'm studying to be a mechanical engineer at Kettering University
(Formerly
General Motors Institute) and I'm also work as an engineer at Illinois Tool
Works.  I can calculate that for you, if someone could give me the
dimensions.
Matt">>
Matt
I hope *they* can find a nice Spider for you.
I took measurements off the cone I had on hand, and the flat panel filter.
Here are the measurements in inches for the filtering area only, not the
rubber or metal frame:

Cone:  length 4 3/4", (there are other sizes)
            radius: 5 1/2  --> 5 1/4 at the end

Flat panel:  total surface: 6 7/8" x 14"
                   area covered by AFM (and deemed by me hardly functional)
                         one rectangular area: 4" x 2"
                         one triangular area:  4" x 5" x 2" (I divided this
triangle into 2 square ones:

2.5" x 2"  and 2.5" x 3")

According to my own empiric and Alzheimerian calculations I came to the
following:

Cone: *approx.* 80.16 square inches, metric way: 516.16 cm2
Flat panel: again *approx.* 82 square inches!!!, or metric: 529 cm2!!!

Now, now, I did not measure nor take into account the inner little cone at
the far end of the Cone.  This could add a few sq. inches.  Nor the fact
that the flow of air may be facilitated by a cylindrical/conical shape of
the devise.  Nor the fact, on the other hand,  that it's extremely difficult
to ensure cool air supply to the cone in a V6 engine bay with very hot
exhaust headers at either side.

So unless somebody can show with dyno figures that the cone can add HP's and
torque with a hot engine bay, I would still stick to the flat panel in the
not-so-cool stock air box.
Zamani describes his *forced* air set up with heat insulation of the stock
air box.  I think that deserves merit.  I just can't sacrifice one
headlight.  Hard to explain to the cops, and I just got my euro Carello's
that I just love.
Any ideas as to place a cone inside a fender or aft the engine, like some
modern race touring cars?
Jorge (after all this I need a simple drive in my Milano: 1st, 2nd,
3rd.....)