VVT device 85 spider

Can anyone help me with detailed troubleshooting of the VVT
actuation device? I seem to have burnt out a replacement solenoid
after discovering the first to be inoperable, followed the
service manual instruction to apply 12V to the terminals. Why are
there two terminals if they are both to get 12V? What is the
function of the electronics in the white plastic connector? What
should be the voltages out of the connector's two 'holes' with
and without the throttle depressed? What about the voltages in
the harness behind the connector (there's a simple connector two
feet upstream of the white one)? The hydraulic part works fine as
the engine slows and sputter when I depress the pin into the cam
cover. If on applying 12V directly to the pins of the solenoid and
not having it work (push on the pin) should I just buy another?
How critical is the at-rest distance between the solenoid and the
pin, there's an alfa tool pictured in the service manual that looks
about a thin pencil in diameter?
Thanks.
Jim
85 spider graduate