re: CarCoon

In AD v7n1121, Jon wrote:

<<PS. Anyone have any experience with CarCoon products? I've seen them
advertised in Sports Car Market etc, and logged on to their website
(www.carcoon.com). Looks like a great way to keep the car dry in the garage
during winter storage. Thoughts?>>

While I don't have experience with CarCoon, I do have some experience with
long term storage. My '63 Spider was on jacks in a garage for 20+ years and
ended up with little underbody corrosion because I had placed a layer of
plastic on the floor first. This kept the moisture that normally comes up
through the concrete slab from the bottom of the car.

I had originally put the plastic on the floor to protect the floor from all
the oil/grease/dirt as I began the "restoration" of the car. Years passed
(the garage was my mothers and I was living in my own places, not near her
garage) and I finally got my own garage and moved the car. I noticed that the
underside, which had been partially sandblasted, was still fresh and, in
spots, had only a light surface corrosion showing (almost light enough to
"wipe"off). It seems the plastic sheet on the floor served as an amazing
barrier. Dumb luck triumphs again!

Don't know much about the whole bag, but the layer on the concrete floor is
imperative!

ciao

Tom
'63 Spider