Turn the lights on, then start the engine

My trusty '84 GTV6 has started acting a little strange.  I began hearing
some clicking noises which I thought were coming from the fuse box a few
days ago.  Then, last night, she wouldn't start.  Turning the key to the ON
position did not light the Alternator or Brake lights on the dash and while
the engine cranked when the key was turned to START, it did not kick over.
After a half hour of trying without success, I happened to turn the parking
lights on, then turned the key to the ON position.  The Alternator and Brake
lights went on, and then the car started.  The same situation recurred today
with the same results.  What's wrong here?

Any help with this one would be appreciated.

TIA,
Nic