Re: Door Plastic on 105 GTV

Mark,

I used a real heavy (6 mil) clear plastic sheet when I re-did my '71 last
year.  (Don't have any idea what that translates to in real terms, but is
thick.)

I used the rope caulk to seal the plastic to the door.  I also put a piece of
plastic from the top to past the center knockout section, going from the
panel side of the door into the interior of the door through the slot and to
below the handle.  I then sealed the back side of the plastic to the interior
of the door to make sure any water coming in the windows goes over the handle
area.  Then I put a complete piece over the whole door to keep out the
moisture.  I used the rope caulk to make sure the water had a downward slope
to the drain holes so it looked a little like the Alps on the bottom.  This
stuff is sticky as heck, soft so it mashes flat when you press the plastic
on, and should last for 20 years.  (I used silicone prior on the last reskin
in 1977, and it was a pain to get off, not reusable and almost certainly
didn't work any better.)

I still have the original door panels, and while the vinyl is a little
scuffed, and the chrome has come off some of the bars, the wood is still
almost perfectly flat.

John Justus
1971 1750 GTV
1995 164 Q