Engine parts for 1.8 75 wanted

Leigh asked:

>I'm contemplating new pistons and liners for my 1.8 75. The engine is
>starting to become a little unsanitary. Does anyone have an address for mail
>order parts outside australasia?  I'm concerned that parts here are priced
>to meet a market with little choice.

Who have you asked locally? Don't rule out the NZ suppliers: I buy quite a
few parts from Continental Cars (contcars@domain.elided) in Wellington (NOT
Auckland).  Mike has a good range and shipping costs are low. Prices vary,
sometimes they are cheaper than overseas, sometimes not. Pistons and liners
are relatively heavy which is likely to mean high freight costs from
overseas. Last part I bought was a clutch kit which was much cheaper locally
than from any of the overseas suppliers.

Internationally I've used EB Spares and Highwood in the UK, Centreline and
IAP in the USA, Rainer Hurtienne in Germany, and been happy with the service
from all. You'll find contact details for these and more at
http://www.arocnz.org.nz/PARTS/allparts.html.

Prices do vary significantly locally and worldwide so it always pays to shop
around. In practice the freight charges can make a big difference to the
total: in my experience the Europeans seem to try a bit harder than the USA
suppliers to minimise these for those of us down under.

Good luck!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML