Re: alfa-digest V7 #1111

In a message dated 10/22/1999 09:52:20 EST, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided
writes:

<< Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:46:55 -0500 (CDT)
 From: Karl Robrock <robrock@domain.elided>
 Subject: Blown Head Gasket?

Dear Karl,

my 164L blew it's head gaskets too, about two weeks ago. Check underneath the
oil filler cap for confirmation, but it doesn't sound as if any is needed.
According to my service manager, the only way to check is to pull the heads-
and both my gaskets were blown. Since my car has 88,000 miles on it, and you
never know if damage has been done, I am having the heads redone. First they
were x-rayed and then milled.
They also found two slightly bent valves, which is a mystery to me since my
timing belt never broke.
My car is still in the shop. The Alfa/Ferrari mechanic at Great Neck Mazda
had an operation, and won't be back until Wednesday. But he insists on
finishing the job, since he did the  tear down, and who am I to deny him?

BTW, this relates to several threads on the Digest and the 164 boards about
engine temperature. Do not be sanguine about a higher than normal reading. If
your gauge is reading higher than you're used to, check that water pump
operation NOW.