105 rear suspension - solution to strange problem

Hi All

The following message I sent yesterday is posted in full below in case it
could help someone with a similar problem. I got an excited phone call from
John Langley last night to say that he thought I was nuts when I made the
suggestion about the Trunnion, but in fact that's what it was - a twisted
trunnion.

Regards all.  Les in Wellington, New Zealand

John

Really sorry to hear about the problem with your gtv. What is more puzzling
is that you seem to have gone about it pretty thoroughly and chekced
everything. There is something definitely askew because the car should not
sit loweron one side, presuming that the springs are seated properly both
top and bottom and the trailing arms haven't been swapped around, not that
should make any difference - I'm running the right arm on both sides having
broken my left one which had urethane bushes.

Try triangulating from the trunnion to body mounting points to the diff
housing centre up at the top - that will tell you whether the trunnion is
out. Trunnion also needs to be checked for twisting in the horizontal
plane, any of these will cause the effect you've described. Measure
everything, sort of like you've been doing but also check the arms for
straightness with a straightedge. These are simple things and really
clutching at straws because without looking at the car I couldn't tell what
is wrong.

One other thing check the camber of the rear wheels - just use a level
vertically the bubble indicator is ok for this purpose - I set my front
camber by this method initially - don't tell anybody!

Raise the body and let the whole suspension droop with the shocks
disconnected - any obvious twists?

Got a good 4 wheel alignment operator down there? people have the equipment
but many of them don't know how to operate it.

My immediate thought is that if the springs are seated correctly then
something is wrong in thetrunnion department.

Sorry I'm not much help but please keep me informed and perhaps throwing
some ideas around we can solve the problem.

The discussion group is the Alfa Digest - I still subscribe.

Regards

End of alfa-digest V7 #1106