re:'74 Spider top install (Dean W. Cains)

Hi Dean,

Don't know if this will be of any benefit to you, but I replaced the top on
my '74 in the Spring and upon removing the old one found that a previous
owner had run into the same problem you describe. His solution had been to
replace the ones that snapped off with hex headed sheet metal screws and
washers adjacent to the old studs. I just carefully copied the holes onto
the new top and reinstalled. Finding the holes you drill is a real bugger
because you wind up working blind for the most part. Using an awl to locate
the holes is very useful. I looked to see whether there was any chance of
replacing the studs, but it'd require major surgical intervention. On
reassembly I lubed the remaining studs to try and ward off future similar
problems.
If you run into any other difficulties or just need someone to converse
with about this job, ,just e-mail me (while it's still fairly fresh in my
mind).

Hugh Shawcross
Medicine Hat
NWARC