Overheating Milano

Having gone to every length imaginable to cure my Milano's hot running syndrome
(New Alfa heaven radiator w/High CFM fan + Cool control adj switch, new
thermostat, new temp sensor, redline water wetter, etc.) with NO luck. I decided
to call Alfa Heaven to see if they could help (after 400 bucks for a radiator, I
figured they could offer some advice) Tom and I narrowed it down to ignition
timing being the likely cause, combined possibly with a lean fuel mixture.

So I was told to check the vacuum pod on the distributor to see if it is moving
freely
then check the static timing (7 degrees BTDC stock on a Milano 3.0) and to
advance up to 5 degrees if necessary, to account I am told for California's less
than optimal fuel.

Finally I was told that if A and B don't pan out, the likely culprit is the
water pump, which doesn't leak and is not especially jiggly.

OK, my questions. Has anyone had ignition timing or this faulty vac pod cause
hot running?
What specifically do I need to check/advance my timing if necessary? How to do?
I know that 7 degrees BTDC should be marked by the F (fissa) on the distributor
can I advance 5 degrees from this without any special instruments?

Lastly, what could be the cause of a lean mixture? AFM, TPS????????

Sorry for the long post, but I need to clear this sooner rather than later, it's
already been too hot, too long.