Seal swelling additives

Mel Odious wrote:
Subject: seal swelling oil additives ???

i have no experience with such additives, but the addition of seal swelling
substances sounds like a really bad idea. >>>>snip

I have one experience with such additives. I had a Ford 3/4 ton pickup truck,
with automatic trans. One day, the trans refused to go into reverse when cold,
but went into forward gears with no problem. When hot, it worked fine in all
gears. A trusted auto trans mechanic suggested putting in a can of transmission
stop-leak. He explained that the seals internal to the trans actually were on
valves that caused the trans to shift. When cold, the seal was shrunken and
stiff. When hot, it expanded, and did its intended job. After adding the
stop-leak, the trans worked very well when cold, and continued for some two
years and 30,000 miles. Since many of those miles involved towing a big boat,
and all of them involved hauling a large camper, I was convinced. YMMV.
Len (who never puts any additives into his Alfa!)