Re: alfa-digest V7 #1087

In a message dated 10/11/1999 7:11:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< the California law requiring a $300 additional
 registration fee on out-of-state cars being brought into California
 unconstitutional.  The article said imposition of the fee would end on Nov.
 1.  I didn't see whether the state intends to appeal this decision or will
 just abide by it.  I would think the state would be concerned about the
 revenue loss.

Who knows what may eventually happen?  But it seems as though every time
there is any mention of our fair state and money and cars together, there is
always the thought that extra revenue is at the bottom of the issue.  I don't
think so.

Currently, I believe we are running a surplus for a change, so the panic of
trying to find every possible dime is a bad memory.  The absolute number of
used cars brought into CA from other US states cannot possibly be high
enough, at $300 a crack, to really make any impact one way or the other on
our gigantic state revenue.  If anything, if they ever sat down and thought
about it, which doesn't seem likely to me either, I think they'd be more
concerned in Sacramento about businesses bringing in large numbers of non-CA
cars on a commercial basis, or somehow trying a ruse to ship in boatloads of
noncompliant cars as "used" or something.  In-migration from other US states
is also at a low ebb.  And besides us chickens, really how many people in CA
are going to be regularly going to all the trouble of buying old cars in
other states and bringing them here as collector or specialty vehicles?  In
all, a negligible number, I'd guess.

The unconstitutional fee was designed to limited the number of people
bringing in noncompliant cars (a small public good) and also for force them
to buy CA cars once here (let's here it for the Homes Tuttle lobby).  The
idea is to use an economic stick to get people to conform to certain desired
behaviors, and not really to raise any significant revenue. I'd say.

For definitions of significant, see Sagan, Carl.

Charlie
AROSC
LA, CA, USA