Re: alfa-digest V7 #1080 - Wheel Studs

Kevin,
    I used a press to remove the studs from my front rotors and rear axles.
However, a STEEL hammer should drive them right out.  A brass hammer might be
too soft to get the rust broken and the stud moving.  Do not force them, get
a bigger hammer!  (That is a joke, son.)
    New studs can be pulled into place with a stack of washers, a bit of oil
and a NEW lug nut.  Install the lug nut backwards so the flat face is against
the washers and the stud should pull into place easily.
     Make sure the new lug bolt is turned correctly so the flat edge will be
in the correct orientation.  Look at the back side of the rotor to see how
the flat on the head of the studs fits against the side of the rotor before
you take the old ones out.  Or do one side at a time so you can use the other
rotor as a reference!  That is a trick I always had to use to get drum brakes
back together.

    On my 1984 Alfa Spider ITB race car, I replaced the studs with Moroso
#46200 wheel studs.  They are actually a 3 inch long 1/2 - 20 Allen bolt with
threads all the way down to the head.  The existing 12 mm holes are slightly
too large, but close enough to just tap them for the threaded bolts.  There
are two problems.  The first is that the inside of the rotor must be milled
to give the head of the Allen bolt clearance (it does not have the flat edge
of the stock lug bolts).  On the rear, I installed the studs through the hole
that used to be for activating the former emergency brake.  The hole was not
quite large enough, but a drill solved that problem.
    The second problem is getting the studs in straight.  Actually, it is
tough getting the holes tapped straight so the studs are straight.  I thought
I had everything tapped straight until I tried to install the 3/4 inch thick
wheel spacers and the outer ends of the studs are obviously out of alignment.
 When the wheels are installed everything pulls into alignment and the wheels
do not wobble, but it ain't perfect and I know it (if you are a
perfectionist, you know what I mean).  I intend to build a spare set of front
hubs and rear axles, but will tap them in a mill or drill press for more
precision.
    I am using standard Ford lug nuts on 14 x 6 Daytona style wheels.  That
size wheel is required by the ITB rules.  However, the Daytona style wheel
does not have enough offset, thus the 3/4 inch wheel spacers.  Also the
center hub of the Daytona wheel is quite thick and wastes a lot of the
additional lug bolt length.
    I am looking for alternative wheels.  Mustang 7x15 wheels are about
perfect for fender clearance with no spacers, but they are not legal in ITB.
The Mustang wheels are also much heavier.  Any other suggestions for 6 x 14
wheels?
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City
Yes, the race car is finally done, my wife can have our marriage back and I
can again procrastinate by reading Alfa Digest.

In a message dated 10/07/1999 6:37:34 AM Central Daylight Time,