Experience with the Combi relay on GTV-6

This probably applies to anyone using the L-Jet injection which uses the
big double combination relay.  On my way to work recently my usually dead
reliable 83 GTV-6 just went dead when coming up to a stop light.  I managed
to cruise to a pull off and got the car out of the flow of traffic.  The
engine spun with enthusiasm but just would not start or even sputter.  No
signs of life.  I had to have my car towed to my usually reliable mechanic.
He is very knowledgeable and experienced with L-Jet although I think I am
his only Alfa client..but he likes the car.  His garage is usually full of
B-cars, P-cars, M-cars, V-cars and J-cars.

He calls me back to tell me the combi relay had failed and he was trying to
find a used one locally...it is a generic Bosch parts.  Go says I...  After
one delivery of the wrong part, we finally get the right relay...BUT...
nothing happens, same symptoms. Power into the relay, but no power out.
NOW, he starts to check the wiring to the relay from the fuse box and sure
enough the spade connector connecting the wire to the combi from the fusebox
(#8, I think) was fried and had stopped passing power to the relay.  A
little wiring work and the car was running actually better than
before...maybe that should have been a clue as the car had become marginally
harder to start.  The moral of this tale is to make sure you check all the
possibilities before assuming that the relay (or any other electrical
device) has failed.  He also reworked a couple of other connectors that
looked suspicious.  He replaced 2 of the euro style plastic bullet style
fuses with ceramic bullet style fuses (he says the glass GBC ones are OK
too) because sometimes the cheaper plastic body fuses will melt on the ends
(like mine did) and cause a poor connection in the fuse holder by becoming
just a little shorter.  He also did not try to sell me the relay he had
found but was not needed.

Jerry in Houston