polishing stainless steel?

I have a stainless rear bumper off a 72 GTV that I want to put on my 74 GTV.
While the basic metal looks good, there are some scraped gouge-like
scratches in a few places, as if someone dragged something hard and sharp
across the bumper, making a shallow scratch with a "berm" lip on each side
of the scratch.  Anyone know a good way to polish/grind these out? I'd guess
the berms are .020" or .030" high, and in some cases a couple inches long.
Can you just grind and sand on this type of stainless, then polish to an
original-looking sheen when you're happy with the finish?

Also interesting to note that the spot-welded attachment tabs for the side
"wings" on the rear bumper that wrap around to by the wheelwell are
differently attached to the main bumper piece on 72 and 74 cars, though the
bolt holes all line up.  Thanks

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register