Re: alfa-digest V7 #1066 - Exhaust Manifolds

Tina,
    On my 82 Spider I am running early cast iron exhaust manifolds (65 thru
74), which are the same as the late Motronic manifolds.  You could use a
Motronic head pipe and catalyst from a 91 or so spider, but that is very
expensive.
     I used a new 74 head pipe and cut it in front of the resonator.  I
welded the flange and pipe from the front of a used center muffler onto the
new head pipe.  I used a mid seventies Alfetta or spider catalytic converter.
 As I understand, both cats are the same, except one has the flanges on one
end reversed from the other.  It does not matter, just weld up the head pipe
to match what ever cat you buy.  The center and rear mufflers are just stock
or Ansa for the 82 Spider.  This will work on any of the mid 1980's Bosch
spiders and probably on the late Spica spiders.
    I also made a bracket that bolts to the stock transmission exhaust mount
and welded it to the head pipe.
    For the O2 sensor, I got a large nut from a supply house.  I took the O2
sensor and just found a nut that screwed on.  It was 12 or 14 mm.  As the nut
was quite thick, I ground it about in half and contoured it to fit the
exhaust pipe at the same time.  I drilled a hole in the head pipe in the spot
where I wanted to mount it and welded the nut in place.
    This arrangement has worked on my 82 spider for the past five years or
so.  It has about 10,000 miles on it.  Actually, my cat sits in the attic all
but about an hour a year, when it gets bolted on for inspection.  Mostly, I
run a straight pipe from the head pipe to the rear muffler section.  It is a
bit loud, but I like it.  And no one in Oklahoma seems to care.  My spider is
pictured in the current Alfa Owner.
    A better means to a bit of exhaust note is to use the cat and an after
market center section with a straight pipe for rear section.  My wife's 91
spider is equipped this way and it is quiet enough to suit my wife.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 09/28/1999 5:52:50 PM Central Daylight Time,