Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:01:28 -0500
From: bofusric@domain.elided (ric salinas)
Subject: 164 Water Pump

I had what I thought was a water pump noise. It was actually the
idler/tensioner bearing going bad. My dealer, who is an
Alfa/Fiat/Ferrari rep, uses a Fiat bearing in its place. The original
has only one bearing race where the Fiat replacement has two races-which
insures longer life and more quite operation. Another bonus was that it
was half the price of the original.
FYI Fiat part# 4443446 @ $39.91.
My 164 has 108,000 miles on original water pump.

Just my 2 cents.

Ric Salinas
1991 164L
Orlando FL