Gas Fouled Plugs?

Driving to work this morning in my commuter car, the engine started
missing furiously. Having just done a tuneup this weekend I made a quick
diagnosis of a loose plug wire and sure enough that was the case. In the
past mechanics I've used always insisted that I replace gas fouled plugs
and that cleaning wouldn't work. I always thought it was just a gimmick
to pad the bill since gas or any of the additives that might remain
should easily burn off. Is there any to truth to this claim or should I
now replace a practically new plug? The engine runs fine or as fine as
any non-Alfa engine can.

Mitch Wolberg,
69 Duetto Jr.