Re: Ford-Alfa-Ferrari-Lancia-Maserati-Borgward-Hillman-Rootes-Innocenti-Bristol

In a message dated 9/14/1999 11:06:45 EST, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided
writes:

<<
 Speaking of Volvo, if you see what is happening to Volvo in
 BTCC next year, then that would be the likely future of Alfa
 in Touring car racing or any sort of racing under Ford ownership.

 And where would Maserati fit into Fords plans, except as another
 badge for some underpowered, understeering Lincoln or Mercury?

 Mitsubishi would seem to be a much better fit.

Perhaps, but since no deal has been made yet, and with FIAT and Mitsu
building an SUV together, I would imagine this is not in the cards. FIAT has
been sitting there with it's legs open to anyone who will listen, and no
deals yet.
  It is difficult to see how all of these brands will survive. Maserati in
particular. But we have lost car brands before, and some more casualties
surely lay in store.
There IS a place for Alfa in the world, and it shows what can be done with
the right product at the right time. But this winnowing away, or use of badge
engineering has been around for decades. I am reminded that before the Great
Depression, there were over 250 car manufacturers in the U.S., and they are
all lamented. We now have three major companies (actually two) and a handful
of platforms with images attached to them. Enjoy it guys-you got to drive the
real ones.