Noise after clutch worked on

Hello Everybody,

I have an Alfetta GTV '81. I had work done on my gearbox and clutch as well
as a rear 'donut' replaced. After getting it back the car ran fine and
smoothly except that the mechanic had changed the synchros in 2nd., third
and fourth without doing first. Changing down to first was impossible
unless virtually stopped. He agreed to do the first synchro at no charge.

This he did but now I have a weird kind of noise in the back that it very
irritating. It happens at idle and through the rev range. It is not
actually a vibration but more of a sound as if a muffler pipe has slight
contact with the body. It is a definate rotational sound. The driveshaft
was balanced before and runs smoothly apart from this noise. To me it
definately has something to do with the driveshaft installation the second
time.

He hasn't been able to come up with any solution as of yet but I'm taking
it back next week for a longer look. Does anyone have any ideas? If he
didn't mark the exact position of the rear driveshaft spline on removal and
installed it in a different position could that possibly contribute to the
sound? Would appreciate any suggestions on what he may have done
differently the second time.

Regards,

Vic
Vic Wolyncevic (Brisbane - Australia)