164 V6 valve clearances

My North American spec 1991 164 factory shop manual specifies cold
clearances for V6 valves as follows:

Intake:        .0187 to .0197 inches (.475 to.500 millimetres)

Exhaust:     .0088 to .0098 inches (.225 to .250 millimetres)

Centerline appears to be wrong, someone should tell them. BTW, when in
doubt, set to the higher (ie looser) clearance as no damage will result to
the engine, whereas too tight will bring sadness and grief into your
life!!! (man those exhausts are tight, but then there's a bit of slop in
the rocker, tappet train.)

Healthy Alfa V6's make quite a bit of ticketa ticketa noise at idle if the
clearances are correct, beware the quietly idling V6 as trouble is around
the corner. Loose clearances tend to allow better power for some strange
reason I've never understood, it's not the increased noise, I defy anyone
to hear the tappet noise as soon as the throttle opens.

BTW, the correct name for the gas pedal/throttle/etc is the accelerator,
just remember the def'n of ALFA engineering acumen:.... It goes faster...
accelerates.

Reminds me of the great vanity plate IXLR8.....
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner