europe car rental/int'l licence

Jerry wrote:
> The AAA International Drivers License is only a form of identification
> and really has nothing to do with driving or renting a car in Europe.
> Your valid
> US state issued license is entirely adequate for driving and renting a
> car in
> Europe. Likewise, theirs is valid here for the same purposes.

A brief word of warning (for US residents) regarding the necessity or
lack thereof of having an AAA issued Int'l Drivers Licence for car
rentals in Europe.

While it is entirely true that this is merely a proforma document, and
does not make you a more or less competent operator, there are some
countries in Europe, ie. Greece, where the bloody thing is REQUIRED.
Not necessarily by the rental agency, but by law; the cops will ask you
for it if they have occasion to.

They asked me for one after i clipped a moped passing me on the right
(in the gutter) while making a right turn in Athens this summer.  Got to
spend the night in jail and explain it to the judge the next day.
Believe it or not they were more concerned with the licence issue than
with the collision with the bike.

Asked me again about a week later while pulled over for speeding (it was
a SEAT, sorry, no Alfas available at Hertz).  Did my best idiot tourist
no-comprende greek act (while my stomach was in a knot) to talk/gesture
my way out of it.

Would be far simpler to spend the 10 bucks and keep 'em happy.

Yassou,
Peter Kemos (yes, greek, so i can badmouth the cops there all i want ;)