Rear view mirror and rear ended GTV6

Hi Jerry from Houston,

Just a stab in the dark, but the mirror on my SAAB 9000 (86) "snaps" off
also, without damaging the mirror or the mounting. Have a look and see if
there are two relatively heavy straight spring wires in the mirror mounting
stem or on the windshield frame that are intended to straddle a screw head
or similar mounting point on the windshield frame (or the mirror stem if
reversed on ALFAs). I have no idea what I'm talking about except to alert
you to the possibility that all may not be lost. Some "breakaway" mirrors
can be re installed relatively easily, e.g. the glue to the windshield
models can be reattached with fresh glue, some breakaways actually just
snap on and off (very stiff mounting so it's not easy to snap back on.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner