Moretti automobiles

>From: "Greg Stewart" <gt_veloce@domain.elided>
>Anyone familiar with "Moretti" cars, built in the 1950's?  I think they
were =

>small displacement racers but could be completely wrong.

Moretti made all sorts of stuff. Motorcycles, trucks, taxis, cars, electr=
ic
cars, jeep-like contrivances, station wagons, sedans, single seat racers,=

Le Mans racers, etc. Many of the cars used engines of Moretti's own desig=
and construction, including the well known DOHC 750 berlinettas of the mi=
fifties. Many of the cars, though, especially the later ones, used Fiat
mechanicals. The well known 850 Sportiva is an example.

Several of the race and sporting models, as well as a few of the Fiat bas=
ed
models, are quite lovely. The relatively high production 750 single cam
convertible of the late fifties is, unfortunately,  not so pretty. A coup=
le
of them came up on Ebay awhile ago. Although they were kind of rusty and
didn't have engines or transmissions, they did get bid up to something li=
ke
fifty bucks!

The 750cc DOHC berlinettas are probably the most famous and sought after.=

Unfortunately, they were made in tiny numbers and used no Fiat parts, so
you can't just buy parts for them, you have to make them. There was one a=
the Monterey Historics this year, but it had several "incorrect" bits on
it, most notably the steering wheel, hub, shift knob, guages, etc.

One of the Moretti importers in the states MAY have been Ernie McAfee, th=
Siata 208S importer of "Holey Terror" fame, though I could be wrong about=

that! Moretti's were certainly imported by the JFR company of Attleboro,
Mass. at one time. Don't really know how many were brought in, though.

Hope that helps!

RON

End of alfa-digest V7 #1011