"Extra parts"

I am an ardent follower of the digest, and I occasionally contribute (when I
feel that I have something to add :) )

Now I have to ask a question:

I somehow got a friend of mine to help me install a clutch in my 86 Spider.
(Note to self... next time let the dealer do it!)

8 hours and a console still to be installed later, we were congratulating
ourselves on a job well done, when we noticed a white plastic bushing on the
parts tray. It looks like a screw goes through it and it acts like a spacer.
Does anyone have a clue as to where this came from, and what the
consequences of not having it in there are?

better description:

Round cylinder , about 1/2" long , 1/2" diameter with a hole in the middle.
guessing it came from one of the screws that holds the transmission to the
engine?

My bloody hands and aching back thank you in advance.

Alan