Back from China

OK

I give up.  It is 2:53 am, I have an important (meaning it could mean money
to me) meeting tomorrow and I am trying to read all the digests but there
are still 23 to go.  Into the storage folder with them.

China is definitely the land of boring cars.  The new rich drive Mercedes,
Audis, Nissan Cedrics and other Japanese stuff while the poor, or semi-poor
drive various mini and micro cars and vans.  10 years ago the most common
form of transportation in the rural areas was the roto tiller connected to a
wagon (to make 4 wheels) so things are improving, but there is still very
little of interest. I think there could be a market for Alfa in China (Alfa
content.)

The most common car appears to be VW's Santana 2000 (no relation to Carlos)
which seems to combine harsh ride with poor handling.  The favourite car of
taxi drivers.  I only saw a few Italian cars, mostly clapped out Fiats.  The
only truly interesting vehicle was the local motorcycle with sidecar.  It
appears to be the Chinese version of the Russian Dnepper, which, if I
remember correctly, is a copy of W.W.I vintage French design.  It has
horizontally opposed cylinders similar to a true BMW.  The sidecar appeared
permanently mounted to the motorcycle as a car-like battery sits on the
mounting bracket.  Most of these bikes look like military surplus
(camouflage paint) but a few look more modern with plastic fairings and dual
rectangular headlights.

Anyways, I'm back in Canada and gave the spider a good run yesterday.  In
the pre-run inspection it l noticed that the plugs are not tan but black and
sooty (sp.?).  Time to get the spica adjusted.

Dave, I have a can of Beijing beer for you collection, the official beer of
state functions.  Now that is marketing.

Kim
79 Spider

PS, I loved the threads on Bonneville (can't compete with big bucks), Why an
Alfa and Sex and the single spider.

Centre for Economic Analysis - Canada Inc.
133 David Dr,
Nepean, Ont
K2G 2N6
tel: (613) 226-2167