Voltage light - more

Here's Fred's e-mail on the voltage light.  He has graciously
given the green light to post it:

>Alternator low voltage light should go out right after the engine starts
>and idles at least at 950 rpm.  The alternator puts out almost full
>current-voltage even at idle speeds, unlike a DC generator that depends
>on higher rpms.  If you want the light to go out instantly, simple
>install a small pilot light from pos ignition coil to the green wire
>terminal of the alternator junction box.  It is the box on the left
>front inner fender that has the red and green wires from the
>alternator.  The moment you turn on the ignition switch, juice is fed
>directly to the exciter circuit and charging begins instantly.  Fred Di
>Matteo

My alt light in my old 33 used to go out only after blipping the
loud pedal (cold start).  Yet, the alternator still managed to maintain
the battery at full charge - more than 6.5 years of battery life.  No
such excitement on the 164 (and keeping fingers crossed).

Good luck to all for their glowing alternator light.

Cheers
Lawrence

86 33 1.5 QV (for sale)
92 164 2.0 TS