Re: Milano oil change, alternator light and the Fiat SUV thing

I've found that it's always handy to keep an old (or new) belt around
for this very purpose: rotating large things. A little belt dressing
can aid traction, as well. With the spark plugs removed, you can
usually get enough traction to rotate the engine main pulley in
addition to using the trick on oil filters.

Also, for those of you with V6's, save an old cam belt. When replacing
my hydraulic tensioner I had a problem removing the distributor drive
pulley (did Alfa use vacuum welding to put those on?) I wound up
improvising a tool to hold the pulley while loosening the bolt: a very
stout compression-type oil filter wrench lined with a segment of old
cam belt. It held well and prevented any metal-to-metal contact.

Don't be too concerned over the charge light being on. My GTV does the
same thing and I've seen the same effect in other older cars.
Alternators don't produce output below a certain RPM and their
efficiency lags with age. From what I can recall from school (10 years
ago), alternators differ from generators in that they have no
permanent magnets and use electromagnets instead. The coils of the
electromagnets are initially charged by the battery before producing
output. The output it always a volt or two above the battery's 12 and
is limited by the regulator (built-in to the alternator on most modern
cars). The light is linked to the regulator and indicates only that
the alternator output is not up to the peak regulator voltage. Aged,
less efficient coils in the alternator and tired regulators often take
more time and higher engine revs to reach peak. My GTV6 has done the
light thing since I've owned it and I've experienced no charging
problems whatsoever. Someday I'm sure the light will fail to go out
and THAT will be time for a new alternator.

I looked at the photos of that Fiat SUV. It has a certain 'shock
value,' visually. I found myself thinking of the Oscar Meyer
Wiener-mobile. No thanks, and doubly so with the Alfa marquee!

- - Eric Hambleton, Marietta, GA

1983 GTV6 -- Felicite -- resting now, before I set to cutting off her
fender and pulling out her transmission to fix a leaky seal
1995 VW Passat VR6 -- Wolfie -- purchased 'cause I couldn't find a
source of financing for 'old' Alfa 164s

End of alfa-digest V7 #1003