Walter Da Silva, and why

Greetings all. I sent the following yesterday, under a subject-line which
probably had contraband characters, (slashes? are they verboten?) and it
disappeared into the vast empyrean, presumably orbiting the web forever. If
perchance the original lands, resulting in duplication, my apologies. The
original subject line, separated by slashes, consisted of "Re: Da Di De di'
da' dum"
Scott Johnson writes:
"Last time I heard, Da Silva was leaving Alfa for SEAT or some other funky
spanish car company. While Alfa's plans ultimately rest with whatever the
Agnelli family wants, it does mean that's one less anti-US person in the
higher-up chain.

"Of course, Da Silva is responsible for most of the new product at Alfa, so
who
knows what will happen to them now..."

Democracy rules, sorta, sometimes only by default. Scott joins Jess Liao and
Chris Robyn in spelling the name Da Silva; Ian Evans opts for DaSilva without
a space; Rich Lasner chose DiSilva with an 'i' but again no space; and dug
seed in chose (wut els?) disilva, 'i', no space, no caps. Low-tech dead-tree
hardcopy (at least from Alfa) spells it de'Silva, with an apostrophe, 'e',
and lower-case 'd'. I think that is probably correct. But Luca Cifieri in the
trade press "Automotive News Europe" goes De' Silva with capital 'D', l.c.
'e', apostrophe, and an extra space. Open season, I guess. I will go with
de'Silva at least until I see how the Spaniards spell it.

Anyhow, Scott is correct on the job-change; as of last November Walter
de'Silva, who was in charge of Centro Stile at Alfa, and Wolfgang Egger,
chief designer of the 166, and Zbigniew Maurer, of the design team which did
the 156, have all left for new jobs at Seat, the Spanish brand which parent
company Volkswagen wants to move into Alfa's market niche. Concurrently,
Andrea Zapatinas, who had done much of the work on the Fiat Coupe, Barchetta
and Alfa 145 while at Fiat but had moved with Chris Bangle from Fiat to BMW
in 1994, has returned to Fiat to take charge of Alfa's styling. Whether Fiat
canned them, or VW made a better offer, or they initiated a patronage change
for their own reasons, is something I cannot guess. Certainly there has been
a massive move from Arese to Spain, and from Turin to BMW and back to Arese.
Curious.

I think Scott is overstating the case when he says "Of course, Da Silva is
responsible for most of the new product at Alfa, so who knows what will
happen to them now..." He was head of Centro Stile, the styling center, and
presumably had nothing to do with anything else.

I also wonder about "it does mean that's one less anti-US person in the
higher-up chain." I don't know de'Silva's educational background or
philosophy, but the vast majority of the Centro Stile crew were educated in
Los Angeles, and I would be surprised if he wasn't also. I have read nothing
in remarks attributed to him which suggested a bias against the US or US
enthusiasts. I also know of nothing to suggest that the opinions of Centro
Stile staff carried the weight in Turin that the "one less anti-US person in
the higher-up chain" remark suggests.

At the time that Chris Bangle left Fiat for BMW he articulated a point of
view which I suspect that de'Silva and most or all of the Fiat-employed Los
Angeles graduates would share; that the most profound essence of corporate
and/or national character, as expressed in design, can be divined and turned
off and on at will by a properly trained designer regardless of his own
corporate or national background. One day this American was designing the
most Italian of Italian cars for Fiat, and he was quite certain that the next
week he would be designing BMWs which were more quintessentially BMW than any
Bavarian could possibly have done unless he, too, had been educated in Los
Angeles. It is a very short jump to the idea that a genius musician of valve
clatters and muffler resonances could take outsourced machinery from anywhere
and make it sound absolutely Neopolitan or totally Teutonic by deft
adjustments; that it is just as easy to produce, under a Mercedes badge,
something which looks, sounds, feels, and smells like a Mercedes, as it is to
produce, under an Alfa Romeo badge, something which looks, sounds, feels, and
smells like an Alfa Romeo.

And that is, when push comes to shove, why I don't regret not being able to
buy a 156. A 105 is not, by George, a cosmeticized and sound-staged version
of something else.

Cheers,

John