Kill Switch

>That switch is the kill switch to the fuel pump in an accident.  If the
>plunger drops, the power dies.  The idea is that in an accident, the sudden
>impact changes the movement of the car from forward to nowhere, thus
>changing the inertia of the car. The switch is activated by this sudden
>inertia, killing the power to your fuel pump so that the pump doesn't
>continually pump gas into what could be a potential fire.

On my 79 Alfetta the little button pops out, rather than dropping in.  I
know it is potentially dangerous to override this switch but I just put a
piece of tape over the top to hold the button down.

I don't think that there is any electrical problem just bypassing this
switch with a jumper or something similar...or just taping the button down
as I did.

Jerry in Houston