bhp, DIN, SAE etc, Alfa Virus (or why an Alfa), 164 quest

A big thank you to all who replied on the bhp question.
That really heped to clear things up.

A big thank you also to those who earlier replied with suggestions
on possible cars, on possible faults when car hunting.  An especially
big thank you to Lars Arvidsson for all the e-mail diagnosis!
This digest is FANTASTIC!

Here's a belated entry into the "why Alfa" thread.  More pragmatic start,
not as sensual as some others :-)

Long time ago, when I obtained my driving licence, the only cars I could
afford were a Daihatsu Charade followed by a Suzuki Swift (both 998cc).
The Swift is more well known to digesti as the Geo Metro, or Holden B?????
(can't remember the actual name).  At that time, I had aspired to a
Toyota or Honda.  After a few years of working, I accidentally found out that
Italian cars were not that expensive due to the relative weakness of the Lira.
I had considered Alfa Romeo as an exotic and in the same price bracket as
BMW, Audi etc.  What a suprise.

AR sales then were rather poor.  Initially I looked at the 1.7 33 QV (twin
carby model).  Salesman was kind enuff to drive it down and meet me for lunch.
Took it on a fast drive around the local campus and the much beloved South
Buona Vista road.  Very nice car, emotionally get it, but a bit out of my
reach.

After some time, found a 33 1.5 QV below the market -- the PO was trying to
get cash to buy the (then) new 33 1.7 16V.  He had a deadline becoz of some
changing tax rules.  Been driving this car for the past 10 years. The car
really grows on you.

Now, I need to fit 3 adults plus 2 baby seats.  The 33 just won't cut it.  So,
a new round of car hunting.  After 2 weeks of scanning ads and dealing with
unmentionables, I know why I didn't like looking for cars.

We considered a Volvo 740/940, a Saab 9000, a Mitsubishi Spacewagon or a 164.
Wife didn't like the Volvo  (too big a car, funny feel, not the tight Alfa
handling she was used to).  2litre 9000s here are way overpriced (more than
twice a 164 TS).  The Spacewagons we all saw were accident vehicles and also
way overpriced.  Besides, wife had misgivings of the lack of power in a fully
loaded spacewagon (1.8L engine only).  We realised we actually were looking
for a 164.  Ahah, sublimal influence.  Surprisingly (maybe not, since wife
drives the car most of the time) wife was a strong proponent for the 164.
- -- we're not familiar with the mechanics and quirks of the Saab/Spacewagons,
don't have a friendly mechanic, besides the reputation of Alfas ensures a
lower price for us.  Most of all, both wifey and I enjoy the engine and
it's handling, far better than most cars in a similar category.

First 2 164s had strange stalling problems.  The 3rd was co-incidentally sold
by a friend and it was underpriced.  I only saw it because I made a snap
decision to pickup the papers in the morning (usually do so after work),
and made a call that afternoon.  He was initially trying to close a deal
that afternoon, but it fell thru.  So, managed to convince him to let us take
a look at it that evening.  Test drove it, sent it down for mech inspection
the next day.  Engine was ok, a bit worn, overabundance of door dings (public
housing for you!), some minor gaskets to be replaced, a stiff accel cable,
but nothing obviously bad, no prev accidents.  Picked it up yesterday.
Had some customer issues, so couldn't change the cable today, hopefully
tomorrow, otherwise it'll be Sat afternoon.

Although it's a big car, it handles like a tight small car.  Nice and nimble.
Parking is a whole new experience.  My previous estimation is all wrong now.
That's when I am reminded of the size.  It's a comfortable car, but somehow
the presence of all the motors (seats, mirrors, a/c etc) seems so excessive.
Personally I prefer the manual adjustments, but I guess these models weren't
brought in, considering the market segment AR was going for.  Ah well, the
space is still what we were after.

So, the Alfa virus does get transmitted laterally!

This is my first injected car, so I'll probably be asking a few stupid
questions once in a while.  I'll try and keep it to a minimum :-)

And for the curious, its not badged as a 168, nor a 164 either.  PO
removed the badges to make it easier to polish.

Cheers
Lawrence
86 33 QV 1.5 (for sale)
92 164 TS 2.0