high idle GTV-6

OK, well here's a new problem with my GTV-6.
Ever since I brought my car down from Colorado to Illinois, the idle has
gone up significantly, sometimes up around 2500 rpm!!
What can be done to correct this?
I have tried adjusting the idle screw on the top of the plenum, but to no
avail. The oxygenated Colorado gas has been spent through the engine,
already, and I'm back to 89 or 91 Illinois gas.
I was informed of an altitude compensator, but where, exactly, is it
located? and how can it be adjusted? Would this be a probable cause or
should I start elsewhere?
while in traffic, the car will drive OK, but when I stop at a light, it will
surge up to anywhere between 1800 and 2300 rpm. It will pulsate just a tad
right in this region.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jay Ogorzalek
'83 GTV-6