Ian's 87 Milano cutting out.

Hi All esp. Ian,

My '87 75 used to do the same thing, and I always thought it was the
fuel pump power circuit.  You should check the multipin plug at the
firewall near the coolant expansion bottle for signs of wear and tear, I
bypassed the connector eventually.  It's better, but the problem still
comes and goes.  I also suspected the ignition circuit and have changed
the main coil lead (it was a bit dodgy), again it's better, but not
totally fixed.  Other things I've noticed while my car has died:
tacho dies instantly (ignition)
stopping the car and running the fuel pump manually using the AFM
contacts fixes the problem sometimes (Fuel)
new battery stops the problem for a while

I've taken to driving around with a timing light and paper clip in the
car at all times.
If anyone can give a definitive answer, I'd like to know as well.

Luckily I've got a 164 that I'm driving around at the moment, so the 75
is now a second car so I don't need to rely on it and can have it off
the road to fix it properly.

Cheers
Stuart Thomson