Alfa Odyssey at Bonneville - Days #3 and 4

Sunday 8/15/99 =20
   =20
After much discussion amongst the crew, we decided to use a smaller blower=20
pulley to increase the rpm of the blower resulting in more boost.  During=20
Mike's runs on the previous day, the maximum boost we achieved was only 8psi=
,=20
probably because of the thinner air we had at 5,000 feet above sea level. =20
The downside of spinning the crank-driven blower faster was stealing more HP=20
from the motor.  On Bonnie's 4th run, we were able to achieve 10 pounds of=20
boost but because of the additional draw on the engine, the best time we got=20
was 130.997, essentially the same as the previous day.  Mike also noted that=20
he was not able to rev above 5700 rpm during the timed mile because of the=20
blower demands.  Hmmm=85.. =20
    Once again the crew put their heads together and a new plan was devised. =20
We opted to go back to the original blower pulley but improve the=20
aerodynamics of the car.  The "moons" were installed and the opening in the=20
air dam (for the intercooler) was reduced to the bare minimum. =20
    On "Bonnie's" 5th run, we hit 143.991, just 1.556 mph short of beating=20
the record in this class!!!  Mike noticed a drastic increase in water=20
temperature (250=B0 !) during this run, only to discover later that Bonnie h=
ad=20
thrown the belt driving the water pump.  Both the water pump belt and the=20
blower belt were replaced and we got in line for another try at the record. =20
In spite of our best efforts, the best Bonnie could give us was a 142.868 mp=
h=20
at 6,000 rpm's.  Was this all she had in her?  Sooooooo close=85=85.
    If we expected to break the record, we needed at least another 500 rpm's=20
to get us in the peaky engine's optimum power range.  Since we did not have =
a=20
different set of gears to replace the Ford 3.08 rear end (a 3.70 would be=20
nice!), we opted to go with smaller diameter rear tires.  Dick Kreines got o=
n=20
the phone and called in some favors and arranged to have a set drop-shipped=20
to the motel on Tuesday. =20

Monday 8/16/99

    The weather was perfect.  The salt, which was "damp" (read: "slushy")=20
when we first arrived on Friday, had dried up nicely and become rock hard. =20
    Instead of wasting a whole day waiting for the tire shipment, we elected=20
to run Bonnie with the blown 1470 "as is" with our other drivers so that the=
y=20
could obtain their competition licenses.  Craig Bielat (Driver #2) went out=20
and got his Class D license with a 134.  Our third designated driver, Keith=20
Martin of Sports Car Magazine fame, had not yet arrived at the track.  Rick=20
Dunleavy, one of our pit crew and a fellow vintage racer, approached the=20
car's owner and said "Lemme  have a crack" and Dick Kreines said, in a weak=20
moment, "Okay!"
    Rick had come into the project very late in the game and was essentially=20
unfamiliar with the car.  Rick is also a full head shorter than the other=20
three drivers which would explain his "Michelin Tire Man" appearance with=20
full fire suit.
    We don't know if it was Rick's lesser weight or his shorter stature or=20
the way he coaxed her through the gears but "Bonnie" went like a bat outta=20
Hell.  At the end of the timed mile, Bonnie was clocked at 146.319!!!!  SHE=20
DID IT!!!!!  The car was immediately impounded.  Under SCTA Rules, if your=20
speed exceeds the current record in your class, car and driver are=20
"qualified" to make a "record run" the following morning at 7:00 a.m.  If th=
e=20
average of the qualifying run and the record run exceeds the current record,=20
a new record is set.  All we need is one more clean run of 145+mph and we ow=
n=20
the new Bonneville record!!

More to follow.....

Darren Besic