Re: ditch-less driving

>Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 16:37:32 -0500
>From: David Ziglin <davidz@domain.elided>
>Subject: Car in Ditch & Driver Training
>
>The no-car-in-ditch kind of attempt, as you know, absolutely requires a
>precise and gentle down shift, precise heel and toeing.  It "shouldn't" be
>done in a turn, but it can be.  To The Driver in Question :  were you
>taught how to drive a car in HS, taught about the physics involved?  Or was
>it more like being taught how to point the car?   Or what??

My recollection of driver training in California seemed to involve
more memorization of the traffic laws than anything else.  Education
in emergency maneuvers consisted of a couple of questions on a quiz.

However, I also remember that I headed straight to the De Anza College
parking lot the night of the first rain of the season after getting
my license.  I practiced braking, turning, sliding, downshifting,
accelerating, even handbrake turns in the dark of the night.  I quickly
learned what gets you into a spin and what gets you out.  Of course,
at the time, I didn't know that I was 'training' myself. :-) :-) :-)

In the time since my reckless (and wreck-less, I should point out)
high-school days, I have unintentionally used my nocturnally gained
knowledge on more than a few occasions on ice, rain, snow and oil.
I still haven't confessed to my parents either :-) :-) :-)

- -Dennis
San Diego, CA
'85 GTV6