Re: oil level

There are 2 elegant solutions to this problem. The best is a 1750 euro
timing cover that has the dipstick where it's supposed to be. The US
cars had that Spica thing in the way. ;=) The second is to make a
spacer for a 1600 timing cover. The 1750 block is roughly 3/4" taller.
You'll need a decent machinist for this option. I think the best ones
use pins to locate the spacer so it seals against the timing cover
gasket.

You may also be able to drill the US 1750 timing cover for a dipstick
where the Euro cover has it.

The last possibility is to drill the block in front of the motor mount
where the 101 motors had it. The dipstick tube goes in at an angle. I
would advise against drilling into the side of the rectangular pan. It
sounds like a sure recipe for leaks, and the pan may crack. The metal
is fairly thin at that point.

"Oppedisano, Roy" wrote"