Steering Rack- Mylano/ Why I Alfa-ed myself

Thanks for the advice from everyone on the exhaust yesterday.
Unfortunately it turned out to be a Koni shock that was toast.
Whilst in at Silicon Valley Performance, we got to talking about
my really leaky power steering, which is probably due to the
rack as opposed to the pump. He quoted close to $1000 to replace
the rack. Is this reasonable?

Whilst I'm writing, I bought my Alfa because:
a. It's rear wheel drive and not German.
b. My family has always owned Alfas.
c. It was really cheap for what it is.
d. I wanted a more refined car than my little VW GTI.
e. Chixdiggit.
f. There's a great group of people who share a deep love for the
 marque, and I wanted to be part of that.
For what it's worth...

Neil.

===
Neil A. Smith, Musician