164 TS Suspension

I am having a number of problems with the front suspension on my TS.  The
symptoms include horrible torque steer and very light steering above 70 mph,
where the ability to steer the car is poor.  I have been told that the top
suspension mountings are in bad condition and from reading the 164 FAQ
(excellent information - thanks Colin) I think that maybe the bearings are
also in need of replacing (they will be at least 70,000 miles old).  Not sure
about the shox, they are about 40,000 miles old, but there is no 'bounce'
when compressed.  When the right hand suspension goes over a bump, there is a
large metallic bang, but after visiting 8 or 9 garages there is no sign of
the cause.  The drop links for the anti roll bars were badly worn and were
replaced, this did improve things, but still a long long way to go.

Could it be the top mountings, could these also cause torque steer and the
poor steering response at speed (it is frightening to drive over 70 mph).
The geometry has been checked 3 times and seems to be ok, as does tyre
pressure and the tyres seem to be ok.  My local alfa dealer wants to replace
the springs, shox and virtually every other part concerned with the upright
suspension.  This kind of stuff is way to expensive for me to consider, as I
have just replaced the steering rack and exhaust manifolds and middle exhaust
boxes.  Also I am not keen on throwing money at the problem.

Any advise would be gratefully accepted.

Steve
164 TS (155,000 miles)
Cumbria UK