re: engine too lean?

This past weekend I pulled the spark plugs from my 90 Spider to check them
(Splitfires w/ 25k miles).  The electrodes were covered with a very light
brown, not quite white,  crust.  I brushed the plugs with a wire brush and
checked the gaps (some had grown slightly) and put them back in for another 5k
miles.  My question is:  does this very light brown crust indicate that the
engine is running too lean or a little lean?  Should I richen the mixture some
and if so, how?  The ignition is Motronic.  Shouldn't the computer make it's
own adjustments?  Is the computer sensing something else and leaning the car
out?  I have also noticed that the exhaust temp seems  to be high.  After
running more than 30 minutes I cannot touch the tailpipe for more than a
second or so, or I will get burned.  Is this normal?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Rob Murphy
90 Spider
Coral Springs, FL