Voltmeter / Alternator was Re: Why an Alfa?

Digest Members:
Bill brings up a point about the 164 L.

AlfaBill wrote:  ....stuff deleted .... The freaky brake

> lights on the dash,  voltmeter that has had a "pulse" for as long as I
> can remember...

Our 1991 (Y2K compliant date) 164L has recently begun to have a 'fluctuating'
voltage meter.

After we returned from vacation (about 12 days on the road,) we took it out of the
garage to give it a spin. (It had been sitting whilst we took the 1994LS to Tulsa,
Kansas City, Paducah, Memphis & New Orleans.)

It started fine and drove fine; but it was just a short distance to church and
when starting after an hour of sitting the starter was sluggish. Key off, lights
and hvac and radio off and it started.  Put all this down to the 12 day hiatus and
battery drain. Voltage gauge showed 14+ volts.

Took the car to the local alternator shop and he said it was charging at less than
12 v.

Took the car home and found the battery to be about a quart low.  Refilled it and
charged it and put it in my 1994LS whose battery was a year older and also a quart
low.  Bought a new battery for the 1991L. Since then, its volt meter has varied
around 14, 13.9, 14.1 or around 12.4., 13, 13.5.

What's the deal? Alfa gauge? Failing regulator? Worn brushes?
How many miles have other 1991-1993 164L's alternators lasted before trouble /
failure?

The Car Disk / Alfa Technical manual says pull the headlight to remove the
alternator. Anyone done that? Is it really doable or do you have to have the hands
of a 10 year old?

Thanks for any advice, experience.

Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX USA