Re: alfa-digest V7 #942

Couldn't help but snicker at a recent AD post which referred to
"cosmetic rust". I just got my '73 GTV back from four months in the body
shop -- needed about $7500 in repairs after being rear-ended. One object
lesson from this escapade involved rust. Although it had no visible (ie.
"cosmetic") rust, rust was found inside the passenger-side rocker panel,
under the front windshield and along bottom sills of both rear side
windows. This on an otherwise pristine specimen that has spent its
entire chronicled life in California. Bottom line: If you can see some
"cosmetic rust" on your car, wait'll you look a little harder. Just take
a peek in the places that are a little harder to access. If it was in
this car, no Alfa is safe.

Steve Barber
San Jose, CA
'73 GTV