Stumbling Spider

I have a 88 Spider Quad which has developed a poor idle and stubles when
cold, After everything has reached operating temp, the idle quality is
still poor.  Also, the car seems to lunge or stumble when I put it in
first gear for the first time.  Also when I accelerate the car seems to
lunge forward, then stumble then lunge again.  This only happens in
first gear.
    Are these the symptoms of a sticky air flow meter?

Kelly M.