RE: alfa-digest V7 #919

Bryan Carter wrote:

>Then I remembered an article I read on the Nissan Skyline GT-R and
>how Nissan's standard answer to why we don't get it here in the U.S. is
>that it's too hard to convert it to left hand drive.  So what?  Is
>there some reason we're not supposed to have right hand drive here in
>the U.S.?  What about those old mail Jeeps? (Hey!..you think an Alfa
>V-6 would fit in a mail Jeep?  Another thread for another time).
>Just curious...

I would not doubt that the DOT regs for importation prob do require left
hand drive.  Just my guess...but the object of the post is to describe how
damn scarey it was to be a passenger in a RHD car operated in a LHD country.

When I was stationed in Brindisi, Italy in the mid 60's I used to commute to
work (US Air Force) with another GI who had purchased a RHD Toyota that had
been brought to Italy from Singapore or someplace like that where they drive
on the left side. (It also had a front mounted flat four engine.)  When we
would drive to/from work, as the passenger I always had the first look at
any oncoming traffic and at times it got real scarey.  I had to tell him
what traffic was coming.  A lone driver would really have a tough time
pulling out because by the time he could see traffic it could be too late.
Scared the stew out of me several times.  Not for the faint of heart.

Jerry in Houston