71 Spiders

>I just bought a '71 1750 spider, model number 105.62. The curious thing is
>the chassis number: 1485379. According to the Cardisc CD and Joe Benson's
>Alfa Buyer's guide, chassis numbers for this model spider end at 1484050.
>Any ideas about what gives here?
>Thanks,
>
>Tom

I think the round tail spiders stopped at 1484050.  According to the 71-74
Spider registry http://www.mindspring.net/~tlentz/alfa/  the 71's start at
about 1485300, and go up to at least 1486763 (which is mine!).  It appears
that yours is one of the first 100 US 71 spiders, so it's an early car!  I
also currently have 1485393 or something close to yours.

Does yours have chrome strips between the trunk and convertible top?

Does it have Pininfarina badges behind the doors?

Does anybody have a 71 with a serial number higher than 1486763?

Where are you located?  If OSU stands for Ohio State, and you can stand to
drive to Ann Arbor, I have a 71 parts car I'm trying to get rid of.  Let me
know if you're interestedin the whole car or parts or it, it's going to a junk
yard in a few weeks due to lack of storage.  :-(

Ciao!
Ian Lomax
71 Spider (5393, no chrome strips, no pininfarina badges)
71 Spider (6763, with chrome strips and badges, and 205k miles)
88 75 3.0
Ann Arbor, MI
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ilomax/index.html