Fuel pump questions

The fuel pump on my 91 164 (75K) has been loud for a long time.  I'm
preparing to sell the car, and wonder about the longevity of pumps.  Are
there alternatives to the factory pump?  International Autosports lists
a replacement pump at $182.  Alternatives?  How difficult is the R and
R?  In the Digest archives the statements regarding the fuel pressure
problems from the cracked hose at the pump outlet indicate that
replacement is a "bear" and takes several hours.  Suggestions?  Typical
shop fees?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
If you're interested in a dark green 164, automatic, the car is in San
Francisco (Berkeley) with my daughter.

Gene
95 164 LS