Bonneville Speedweek Update

I read with some amusement the recent posting from Bill Close regarding the
"Besic Brothers" efforts to build a late model Alfa Spider to compete in this
year's Bonneville Speedweek in August.  Let me correct the record by stating
that this monumental effort has been undertaken by the car's owner, Richard
Kreines, and the builder/driver, Mike Besic of Besic Motorsports.  My
mechanical knowledge is borderline dangerous so I usually just show up after
work, drink their beer and watch the progress with fascination.

The car is a 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider which has been entered in three (possibly
four) modified sports classes based principally upon engine displacement and
aspiration. The engines will include a supercharged 2.0 litre, a supercharged
1.470 litre (de-stroked 1600) and a normally aspirated 1.470 litre.  Since R
& D data relative to supercharging an Alfa is virtually non-existant, much of
the construction process is ground-breaking.  All of the air induction,
cooling and lubrication systems are handmade.  In spite of limited data (and
budget!) the blown 2.0 litre has already been on the dyno with favorable
results.

The car, which was on display at the Kansas City Convention, has been heavily
modified including air damn, full belly pan, ground effects sideskirts,
aluminum tonneau cover and NHRA legal roll cage.  The car's drivetrain is a
Mustang differential (3.08) teamed with a close ratio Alfa 5 speed gearbox
offering a multitude of final drive ratios which are expected to be in the
2.75-2.90 range.

When Dick and Mike invited me to join their pit crew, I jumped at the chance.
 Although the temperature regularly reaches 108 on the Salt Flats, and
conditions can only be described as miserable, I consider this a
"once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity and wouldn't miss it for anything.

Bonneville National Speedweek Competition runs from August 14 - 20, 1999.  If
any of you Digesters come out to watch the event, make sure you stop by our
tent (and bring plenty of sunblock!).  Hope to see you there!!

Darren Besic
'57 Giulietta w/2.0 litre (also at the K.C. Convention)