A/C fuse burning 85 spider

2 weekends ago I degreased the engine in my 1985 Spider veloce and
subsequently drove it without incident.  I did notice, however, a clicking
noise in my fuse box which may or may not have been related to the a/c
operation.  When I opened the box, there was sparking in the #7 and #8 fuse
(it actually burned through the upper plastic ledge).  I changed the fuses
and it hasn't done it since.  My main concern is that every time I turn on
the air conditioning, the 20 amp fuse in the engine compartment mounted on
the wheel well sparks and burns.  I looked at the  compressor and the ground
wire is attached to a nut and the oil pan.  My questions are:
1)  What is causing the 20 amp fuse to burn as soon as the a/c is turned on?

2)  Has anyone had sparking of the #7 & #8 fuses (the connections behind the
fuse box look good) and what can cause this?
Your comments and insight will be greatly appreciated  :)

Thank you in advance,
Demitri
irtimed@domain.elided
1985 Spider veloce