Re: Header Wrap and Stress Corrosion Cracking

Dave J wrote:

"One more thing about header wrapping tape - I have heard many people caution
that the extra retained heat stresses the metal and can cause it to crack.  I
believe this is mainly a problem on mild steel not stainless steel, but it is
possible that I have these two backwards.  Does anyone know for sure?...."

FWIW, we typically only worry about stress corrosion cracking on insulated
stainless steel (300 series) equipment that experiences temperatures between
55-120C.

bob brady