Re: spider boots

I'm just catching up on some old digests and didn't see a response to
this on the digest.  Replacing the shift boot was the first "wrenching"
that I tried on my 87 Spider when I bought it over three years ago.  That
job convinced me to stay away from it, so until recently I have been a
checkbook mechanic.
On the newer Spiders, such as Bill and I own, all three console sections,
plus the three knee bolster sections must be removed in order to access
the shifter and it's boot.  I replaced my torn vinyl with leather from
IAP.   The "ring" was reusable, but that ended the easy part.  There are
so many switches and electrical tidbits that are crammed into the
console, it is difficult to get good alignment upon replacement of the
three consoles and the three bolster sections.  After a lot of
installing, removing, adjusting, and reinstalling, I did manage to get
the things to fit and work.  It would have been easier to pay the local
dealer the $100 he wanted to do the job, IMHO.

Gordy Hyde
NWARC
Seattle WA
1987 Spider "VELOCE"

PS - Just returned from a trip from out to the Oregon coast.  A
recommendation if you are attending the 2000 Convention - bring your
Alfa.  I drove some most wonderful roads, but had to do it in my Astrovan
(boo-hoo).